Here’s a list of things I consider undervalued:
- Fresh air
That’s an abbreviated list but you see where I’m going with it. Copywriting is important and just like pizza and fresh air the quality of the copywriting can mean life or death.
The other day I was discussing copywriting with a client, who had chosen to write their own copy. That’s fine, but as a believer in high quality copywriting I decided to try to explain why copy is so important. It’s hard to explain. It’s better demonstrated.
I go Mano-a-Mano with a Copywriter
When pulling together the Miratrix site I originally wrote the content. After writing our content marketing page I re-read it and I was brutally honest with myself. It wasn’t inspirational and didn’t flow. Here’s my version of our content marketing page:
Content marketing has become a bit of a buzzword recently, but what the heck is it?
Put simply, content marketing is creating content that shows off your great products and services.
Offering your company’s products for sale on the internet isn’t enough to make sure you close the deal. Unless you are the cheapest provider for everything you offer, then you need to differentiate yourself and convince the public that they should buy from you.
Content marketing can help do this and here at Miratrix we are experts in documenting all the knowledge within your business and using this to generate you revenue.
Every business in the world exists to solve a problem for someone and content marketing is a way for you to demonstrate how you can help. It’s a diverse channel of business which can range from the straight forward to the biggest :
- Writing an FAQ section to answer the questions your customers have and your rivals don’t even know about building a campaign to get the attention of MPs for a topic that concerns your customers and the people in your industry creating videos that show just how amazing you and your products are we plan the campaign, gather the knowledge and show you how to benefit, from making sales to building your brand.
- With content marketing you can make your company the ‘go to’ website/store/office/phone number (we want to help improve every channel of your business, not just the website!) for solving customers problems and gain yourself a useful advantage against your competitors.
Now here’s the professional copywriter’s take:
Content marketing is a buzzword, but what the heck does it mean? And when was the last time a customer bought a buzzword?
Put simply, content marketing is online content created to maximise the appeal, value and uptake of your products and services, and their benefits.
Setting yourself apart and a great deal more
Offering your company’s products for sale on the internet doesn’t guarantee you’ll close the deal. You need to develop distinctive and effective ways to differentiate your business and convince your target market that buying from you is a good idea.
Professionally produced content marketing can help you do this and here at Miratrix we are experts in mining all the knowledge within your business and using this to generate more revenue for you. Experience tells us that you probably already have numerous solutions to build business, right under your nose.
Access high quality response
Every business in the world exists to solve a problem for someone. Content marketing is just another showcase for you to tell the world about how you can help. And clever content marketing will stimulate high quality response. Consider three proven fixes:
- Write an FAQ section to answer the questions your customers have and your rivals don’t even know about. Build a campaign to get the attention of MPs for a topic that concerns your customers and the people in your industry
- Create videos that memorably show just how effective your products are
- Miratrix can help you plan your campaign and gather the knowledge. We can show you how to benefit, from making additional sales to building your brand.
With tailored content marketing you can transform your company into the ‘go to’ website/store/office/phone number (we want to help improve every channel of your business, not just the website) for solving customers problems.
To gain these advantages, take advantage of Miratrix know how, now.
Spot the Difference?
I didn’t find it hard. The final copy is concise and more engaging; it no longer just talks at the reader. There’s relevant detail without being wordy. It still reflects the Miratrix tone of voice.
Letting a skilled copy-writer distill your content is one of the best things you can do for your website. Because copy-writers are skilled in writing. and not in your area of your business, they can be objective. They can, with an open mind, a load of honest questions and a determination to achieve clarity, help you filter out all the jargon and unnecessary statements. You end up with text which can motivate a reader to perform the intended action, and feel more positive about your service, product or opinions.
Be warned. A hard-working copy-writer is prepared to look a complete numbnut in pursuing the essence of what you are offering: in asking seemingly stupid questions, the writer can learn more, faster. Sometimes, just sometimes, when faced with a barrage of idiotic questions, clients realise that they’ve spent years (and fortunes) missing the point about their own products (and their brand, but that’s another kettle of worms). When you get down to the words, you get down to the cold, hard reasons why people buy stuff.
You are Five Questions from Being a Copy-writer
Many people believe that they can write effective copy and they assume (especially in marketing departments) that it’s their job to write it or no one else will. To those people, I ask:
- Are you truly, ruthlessly critical of what you are doing?
- Do you believe you can write better than someone who lives and breathes copy-writing while you dabble?
- Can you differentiate between shouting and getting your message over quickly?
- Do you have the technique to create twenty good headlines (or more) in order to find the great one?
- Have you the courage to ditch copy that is stunningly clever but irrelevant (a situation known to gnarly old copy-writers as ‘drowning your babies’)?
If the answer to all those questions is YES then good luck. If your answer to any of those is NO then it’s time to call in the professionals.
PS My copy-writer has many more great pointers on generating productive copy, but he’s keeping them to himself, and I’m keeping his name to myself. Hell, you may be a competitor of mine, and Miratrix wants every edge it can get.